Like wool, cotton is a natural fibre, so we believe it is a perfect fit to use both as a casing for our quilts and also blended with wool in our summer quilts.
Why is cotton a great partner to wool?
- Cotton is hypoallergenic meaning it doesn’t irritate sensitive skin or cause allergies. It is also good for asthmatics.
- Cotton is very soft, which is why it is particularly favoured for garments and products that get close to the skin. The ends of cotton fibres are spun very tightly into the yarn so that the fabric doesn’t irritate skin or cause static electricity.
- Cotton is long lasting if well looked after.
- Cotton is a good conductor of heat. In other words, it draws heat away from your skin to keep you cool, making it comfortable to sleep with.
- Cotton breathes, so it is cool to sleep with.
- Just like wool cotton absorbs moisture easily and can take up to one fifth of its weight in water before it actually feels damp. Cotton absorbs body moisture and evaporates it to the surrounding air, thus allowing your body its natural tendency to breathe – keeping you cool in summer and dry and warm in winter.
- Cotton does not contain any chemicals and therefore is a natural product.
The cottons we use at MiniJumbuk are soft and of high quality. It means our quilt cotton casings keep dust out and the wool filling inside. The cotton we blend with our wool to use inside our summer quilts (Cool and Ultralight) helps to keep you cool and dry on warmer summer nights.
Cotton combines many qualities that add up to dependable performance. Cotton is strong and durable, with a high tensile strength. As an ideal fabric to launder, cotton is 30% stronger when wet, will withstand repeated washings, and is free of static electricity which causes fabrics to cling and soil easily.