With the cooler days of autumn offering respite from the fierce heat of summer, now is the perfect opportunity to prepare your home for the cold months ahead. Before the iciness of winter bites and you all wish to do is to spend your days snuggled cosily by the fire, make the most of these last sunny days to ensure your place is a haven as the weather closes in.
MiniJumbuk have created a quick autumn checklist to guarantee that you will be ready for the change of season.
- Outdoors, prepare for wet weather. Clean and check gutters to prevent overflows creating water damage to your ceiling and walls.
- In the garden, the cooler days will slow plant growth. Give your lawn a final mow, prune trees and shrubs and plant your winter vegie patch with goodies for deliciously warming, homemade soups.
- Do a quick safety check. As you alter your clock at the end of Daylight Saving, change the battery in your smoke alarm. It is also a great time to gather a load of wood and inspect and clean your chimney.
- Prepare for colder nights by unearthing your warmest MiniJumbuk quilt. Sunshine is the best antibacterial agent nature has on offer, so maximise the last rays of sun airing your summer bedding on the clothesline to rejuvenate and refresh before storage.
- If wool quilts or pillows require laundering before storing, MiniJumbuk recommend Woolmark’s newly certified Martha’s softly wool wash. An Australian made, eucalyptus scented detergent, it has been specially formulated for the gentle washing of woollen products.
- Indoors, it’s time to warm up your home. Keep the cold outside with well-sealed windows and doors. Curtains and draught stopping ‘door snakes’ are brilliant for helping to keep the heat inside and the power bills down.
- Create the hygge feeling. Grab some bright, colourful cushions, some plush throw rugs and book some nights in with your friends. Stock the cellar with wine and dig out your favourite recipes. A Danish term, hygge is that feeling of contentment you achieve surrounded by the simple pleasures of life.
Finally, with your check list completed, you can collapse exhausted and relax. You probably won’t need any hints on how to sleep well in autumn!