Waking up in the morning with a pain in the neck is a dreadful feeling. Stiffness in the neck can make it hard to move, it can cause stabbing pains in the arms or back and it is often the reason for headaches. Waking up with a neck pain can leave people feeling irritable and tired.
When you wake up with neck pain, it is usually because you slept with the wrong pillow. Having the right pillow to avoid neck pain is a vital necessity for getting a good night's sleep.
The neck is made up of muscles, tendons, cartilage and just seven small bones. While any part of the spine can be compressed or pinched, causing various degrees of pain or numbness, the neck is the most vulnerable, especially during the night when we are asleep. Keeping the neck in line with our heads and back is one of the best ways to prevent injury, stiffness and pain in the morning, and the best way to keep our neck straight is to have the right support system.
Having said all of the above, choosing the right pillow is not an easy thing, there are so many different types of pillows to choose from with different fillings and height profiles.
Here are our top tips for finding the right pillow to ensure you get a deeper and more restful sleep without neck pain.
- Try before you buy. Pillows are a very personal thing so we recommend trying a pillow instore before making your purchase.
- Ensure the pillow supports your neck curve. The pillow needs to support the upper part of your back and neck whilst lying on your back or side. If the pillow is too high or too low you will cause strain on your neck muscles.
- Is the pillow comfortable? Is it soft or firm enough for your needs? The pillow should provide gentle support to your head and neck.
- Price isn't everything, just because a pillow is expensive doesn't mean it will be best for everyone. So make sure you try a good variety of pillows before making your selection.
- It's also important to purchase a good quality pillow, preferably made with non-allergenic materials and with a manufacturer's warranty. Pillows are used for 7/9 hours each and every night so you want to be sure your pillow will remain healthy and will last.
- Once you have found the right pillow, make sure that you replace your pillow when it breaks down or no longer holds its shape. Fold your pillow in half lengthwise and hold it that way for 30 seconds. If it doesn't go back to its original shape when released, you need a new pillow. Pillows should generally be replaced every 2/3 years. Neck pain can often be caused by a pillow that has lost its support, as our heads weigh between 4 and 5kg it's important to ensure continual support.
MiniJumbuk has a selection of 7 pillows, ranging from our low profile Dreamers pillow (ideal for Kids and tummy sleepers) all the way up to our medium/high profile Balance pillow (ideal for large framed side sleepers). Our pillows can be found in major department stores and Adairs stores where you can try the pillows in store before purchase.